My thoughts on navigating the professional world, social media, memes and food.

Friday, August 29, 2014

Becoming a Polar Bear


What is the Tundra? I don’t know this because I just transferred to Ohio Northern the first week in August. Well that is when I visited and applied, I did not actually get accepted until the week before classes started. So I do not quite know how to be a polar bear yet; one could say I am a polar bear cub still sliding on the ice.

I transferred here from Capital University, a small liberal arts university placed in a subdivision of Columbus, Ohio called Bexley. I left Capital this past spring with every intention of going back in the fall, living with Jessica, my roommate and one of my best friends, again and being excited to not be a freshman anymore.

Do not get me wrong I enjoyed Capital, it is a perfectly fine University with a lot to offer, I just couldn’t afford it anymore.

I took multiple tours and I almost went to the University of Findlay because I thought Ohio Northern was going to be way too expensive. I thought I would be paying more than I was in Columbus if I were to go to Northern. It turns out I was wrong, and after my tour of Northern’s beautiful campus I decided to attend as a commuter student since I only live about twenty minutes away.

                This past week was my first week of classes, and overall it went well. I am only here for an hour on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays; which is quite wonderful. The campus is much bigger than my old school so I had to get used to a lot of bicycles zooming past and a lot more people in parking the parking lots. Not to mention I almost got lost in the science center trying to find a classroom.
Hopefully by the end of the year I will catch on more and more and make Northern my new home. Until then, I am still learning how to be a polar bear.

4 comments:

  1. Haley, I always have had a strong regard for transfer students, because trying to find your footing can be difficult when joining sophomore year. The best advice I can give you to be a Polar Bear is to be yourself, get involved, and stay open. Meeting friends through groups and clubs on campus is a sure way to get established and feel connected. Also, my favorite memories at ONU have been when I got out of my comfort zone and tried something new. You can jump into a freezing pond for the Polar Plunge, watch the amazing theatre productions at Freed, and get dirty playing mud volleyball. You can become like everyone else and complain that there is nothing to do, or you can experience new things and appreciate what our school has to offer. I wish you the best of luck this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your encouraging words Meredith! It is always tough to start somewhere new but people like you who are encouraging and friendly make it infinitely easier!

      Delete
  2. Haley, In the little amount of time that I have known you, I can tell you are fitting in just fine. I really enjoy the conversations we have had in class. I'm glad you are enjoying ONU's campus and what it has to offer. If you ever need help finding a class or just someone to hang out with, feel free to let me know. I truly believe in never having too many friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex that is so nice. Sometimes like I said to Meredith coming to a new place is tough because walking into a class where everyone already know each other can be a little overwhelming. Thank you for your offers too! If I ever need anything I know there will be someone there. :)

      Delete