My thoughts on navigating the professional world, social media, memes and food.

Sunday, September 21, 2014

How Far Is Too Far?



            I have just read an article for an English class today about reality television and it went on to comment about how reality television is a sort of disease making adults into children by indulging them in an absorption of entertainment that desensitizes us.

            Now I think that the article’s point of view that we are all sort of large, desensitized babies that are never told no to sex, violence and degradation is a tad severe; however, I would like to pose a question that I thought of while reading: how far really is too far?

There needs to be a sense of shared responsibility for what is watched because I do believe this society is increasingly becoming un-shockable. Never in a million years would you turn on the television in the 1960s and see a woman twerking in a thong, or watch the kind of violence shown in movies like "The Expendables".

            I do not think we should all watch something like "Sesame Street" for our entire lives. I am just saying we should maintain a balance. Desensitization can be dangerous. An un-shockable popular culture is what could lead to things like the Hunger Games. Do I think we are going to take tributes from each state, put them into an arena, let them kill each other and call it the new "Survivor" next year? No, of course not.
          There is a limit to everything, and we are liable as a society for that limit.

3 comments:

  1. Haley, I completely agree that reality TV is getting out of control. We are also losing all of the amazing sitcoms and dramas that Americans would tune in and watch weekly. Now, we are becoming consumed with the superficial lives of reality stars instead of becoming entranced by an artful series. It is definitely making our society value different things, but I guess you have to give the audience what they want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haley, As soon as I saw the words "reality TV" I knew I had to read this blog post! I love a good reality TV show and am not afraid to admit it. I was hooked on Jersey Shore for the longest time (ha ha). But, I mostly watched it because every time they did or said something stupid, I thought to myself "Well, I'll never be like that!" and "Wow, I'm pretty intelligent!" It was comforting to know I wouldn't ever stoop to that level. I wish more people would just watch and enjoy the reality TV shows and take them with a grain of salt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly, I do have to admit I love the reality T.V show "The Voice", and like you said some reality television shows need to be taken with a grain a salt. Like I said, I just believe there should be a balance between "good" reality television and more artful plot lines.

    ReplyDelete