My thoughts on navigating the professional world, social media, memes and food.

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Real-Time Speed, but with Accuracy


          I have talked about specific crises a few times on this blog but they are so interesting I want to talk about them again. I have frequently asked myself about what I would do if a major crisis comes up when I have a professional job in the PR world because crisis is a pretty serious term and the business you work for is now looking at you (and your fellow PR practitioners) to fix the situation.

            In Chapter 7 of “Real-Time Marketing & PR”, as I mentioned two posts ago, directly talks about crisis communication and how it does not have to be as intimidating if you know generally what to do.

            This first point the chapter makes, and what I think is most important, is being honest and fully transparent. Author David Meerman Scott says on page 78 if the company is transparent, even in a negative story, the people will give credit that you “fessed up.” He goes on to say if people think a company is hiding something people will assume the worst is yet to come and become even angrier.

            Now with this transparency respond in real-time of course, do not make the company’s first comment five days after news breaks, but I think it is stupid to be so rushed the comment doesn’t make sense or makes the company look even worse. For example, the book gives the Eurostar train delays. Eurostar trains broke down in 2009 in the underground tunnel that is 50 kilometers long causing major delays, and I am sure huge anxiety for those trapped in a tunnel underneath tons of water and earth. In the wake of this Eurostar was in complete silence, no word of help or maintenance work was released from the company.

            When they finally said something it was laced with confusion and no real help or sincere apology. Scott says the released statement was first that trains were running, but then two hour later they retracted that statement and said “trains (are) not running at all, maybe tomorrow. It’s a state of chaos.”

            Now how thought out was that statement? Your company is in a state of crisis and that is all you could muster?

            In crisis situations I agree that a statement needs to be made transparently and in real-time, however, I do not think we should sacrifice speed for accuracy because if a statement is poorly thought out, like the one Eurostar did, it makes you like incapable, unprofessional and clueless. On top of all of that now you have to come up with a statement that covers the previous comment and the initial crisis which just fuels the fire and the headlines.

2 comments:

  1. Haley,
    I would have to agree with your argument that accuracy is usually more important than speed. This reminded me of the Sandy Hook crisis, and how the media reported various inaccuracies for the sake of speed. It caused a lot of confusion and even more terror. If stories filled with errors continue to break, the news could lose its credibility.

    Check out this article - http://www.businessinsider.com/sandy-hook-shooting-media-inaccuracies-2012-12

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that you mention it I remember that happening! People around the country wanted answers so badly that the news seemed to produce any story they could find and posted it even though it was not entirely accurate. Thanks for sharing the article with me too. I shook my head a few times now that I know in hind-sight everything said was not entirely accurate.

    ReplyDelete