My thoughts on navigating the professional world, social media, memes and food.

Monday, October 27, 2014

White Toast, No Butter


Did you read this story because of my headline?

If not, well then I did not do a very good job of a headline and thank you for reading anyway. If so I did an aspect of my job right. I lured you in. Not in a way meant to trick you, but I wanted you to show interest and headlines are essential for peaking interest. Headlines are the first bit of content someone reads about whatever was posted. Therefore, headlines should not be dry, deceiving or irrelevant.
           Prdaily.com wrote a post about headlines today which sparked my interest in this topic. Headlines seem small since they are just a few words, and besides what really matters is the content posted in the article right? However, how many times have you looked past an article because the title did not compel you? I have done that many times. It could have been an earth-shattering, wonderful article but I skimmed past it because the headline did not catch my eye.

PRdaily takes it a step further and asks the question “what will attract Google?” I had not thought of this fact but it makes a lot of sense. A headline is a major factor in what people search. To get better search engine optimism (SEO) then a relevant, catchy headline is a must.

When I think of catchy headlines I think of a saying one of my best friends who is a singer always says when someone’s singing is dull she says it’s “white toast, no butter.” As in it is extremely dry and uninteresting. I think this can go for headlines too.

Don't be white toast and no butter
 

3 comments:

  1. Haley, this is my favorite blog of yours! It literally drew me in just like you wanted it to and you rounded all of your points together at the end perfectly. Headlines are so important and your blog really emphasizes that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haley, this was such an interesting blog post! I completely agree with you that the headline can attract readers or turn them away immediately. This particular headline got my attention immediately. I think it's funny because I spend such a long time crafting the titles of my blogs and it's a good thing that I do! I don't want to be "white toast and no butter".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Alex and Hannah! I really enjoy when things are witty or interesting, and headlines are just one example of this. Hannah, I spend a lot of time on my headlines too. I hate when I can't come up with something creative, but love when I have a phenomenal headline (or my mind thinks its great anyway).

    ReplyDelete