My thoughts on navigating the professional world, social media, memes and food.

Friday, November 7, 2014

Ask and You Shall Recieve


            When I was flipping through “Measure What Matters” today I came across “New Rule #2: There is No Market For Your Message,” so I of course was thinking how is there no market for my message? What does that even mean? Author Katie Payne explains by saying there is so much content to look through that consumers get bogged down in the clutter. The message your company is trying to convey will either be passed over or skimmed through. If skimmed through people can choose whether or not to buy into that message, read further or completely reject it and move to the next bit of content.

            Payne says because communication has changed a new approach needs to be taken and listening is of the highest importance. I would like to focus on when she writes “ They’ll [customers] be more than happy to tell you what they like and what they don’t like.” That is the key.

            Stakeholders want to know they are listened to, just like any normal human being; it makes us feel special. If tomorrow Coca-Cola asked me what I thought about Coke Zero I would be happy to tell them (I love Coke Zero by the way, the flavor is wonderful and smooth with zero calories; just in case you’re listening Coca-Cola). This genuine interest in the stakeholders and target publics will get people talking and excited. At the same time it improves the product by asking people how improvements can be made and what they would like to see next. Asking and responding gives a more human quality to businesses and makes them more relatable; not just a name on a screen.  

            In the world of constant communication, ask and you shall receive; plenty of people will give their opinions.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment