My thoughts on navigating the professional world, social media, memes and food.

Sunday, November 2, 2014

Introducing a Little Chaos


Want to practice crisis communications in your business? According to SHIFT Communications, in the article "Bring Chaos Into the Workplace", you should initiate a crisis.

When I first read this I really could not believe what I was reading. Shouldn’t we go by the old standby “if it isn’t broke, don’t fix it?” I thought this would go against everything I have ever learned. As I thought about it though, I think SHIFT has shown their genius once again. It is  wonderful to have a crisis communication plan when the time comes to use it. We will all use it at one time or another, the deciding factor is how well we enact our plan. If businesses have already used the plan in a crisis situation, whether it is fake or not, then they will be so much better prepared from the experience.

Like a fire drill, we all can look at the little diagram on the door showing us where to go in case of a fire, but if we have done it before as practice it becomes second nature.

SHIFT recommends not telling employees of the coming fake crisis so it will be a genuine reaction to the problem. The article also gave example of companies who are actually doing this, like Netflix.

As the author of the article Tori Sabourin said, “Go forth and break things!”

No comments:

Post a Comment